Meter Governance, also known by its ticker MTRG, is the governance token that powers the Meter ecosystem. Meter is a layer 1 blockchain focused on building decentralized infrastructure for Web3. The Meter team aims to create an «Infrastructure Future» by providing open, programmable, and high-performance technologies. MTRG plays a key role in the governance and growth of the Meter network.
What is Meter Governance (MTRG)?
Meter Governance originated as the native token of the Meter blockchain at its launch in 2019. Holders of MTRG can participate in governing the Meter network by voting on proposals and other community matters. As a utility token, MTRG also serves functions like operating validator nodes and paying network fees.
In 2021, MTRG transitioned to become a governance token as Meter introduced a new utility token called Meter (MTR). This separation of utility and governance aligned with best practices in blockchain. Holders of MTRG gain governing rights but do not need large amounts of tokens for regular network usage like transactions.
Key Functions of MTRG
Here are some of the key functions of the MTRG token:
- Voting Power — MTRG holders can create and vote on proposals to influence Meter’s development direction. This community-driven governance is facilitated on Snapshot.
- Staking Rewards — MTRG can be staked to validators who operate nodes securing the Meter network. Stakers earn inflationary rewards of up to 20% annually.
- Protocol Fees — A portion of Meter protocol fees are diverted into a pool that buys back and burns MTRG tokens. This applies deflationary pressure to increase value.
- Network Growth — The Meter Association uses MTRG reserves to fund grants, hackathons, marketing, and other initiatives that support ecosystem growth.
Governance of Meter
Governance is a defining feature of MTRG and the Meter network. MTRG token holders collectively govern all aspects of Meter, including:
- Changes to network parameters, upgrades, bug fixes, and feature additions.
- New initiatives, integrations, partnerships, and growth strategies.
- Deciding grants, funding schedules, and budgets for different network pools.
- Electing association members and determining policies around governance processes.
MTRG holders get one vote per token on all proposals after holding a minimum amount of tokens for a vesting period. Proposals are open for discussion in the community before voting occurs.
Meter Ecosystem and Roadmap
In powering a full layer 1 blockchain like Meter, MTRG token holders govern a quickly growing ecosystem. Current areas of focus include:
- Stablecoins — Meter supports several decentralized stablecoins like USDM. Stableassets bring stability to DeFi on Meter.
- DeFi — Decentralized finance apps like decentralized exchanges and lending/borrowing protocols.
- NFTs — Non-fungible token functionality allows new models of digital ownership.
- Infrastructure — Developer tools, wallets, explorers, APIs, and other infrastructure.
- Adoption — Onboarding users, developers, enterprises, and other blockchains through bridges.
Meter aims to become the decentralized infrastructure backbone for Web3. Upcoming roadmap plans include EVM compatibility, cross-chain composability, and major adoption initiatives in DeFi.
With a clear focus on community-driven governance, the MTRG token empowers participants in the Meter ecosystem. MTRG unlocks voting rights over proposals that steer the Meter blockchain as its governance token. It also incentivizes contributors through staking rewards and powers growth through buybacks. For decentralized infrastructure and Web3 to achieve its full potential, governance tokens like MTRG will be essential.